One of the most common reasons people choose an indoor air purification system for their home is to reduce or eliminate mold that can cause allergies, illness or asthma.  Mold is a natural part of the outdoor environment but in the home, it can be disruptive.  Not only can mold destroy walls or ceilings where its spores proliferate but the damage to your body and lungs can be irreversible.

In your home – if you have dampness in your ceilings, attics, walls and other areas, mold spores can easily reproduce.  According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) “mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.”

The best way to eliminate mold is to ensure your house is dry and that areas that get wet (like showers for example) are cleaned, dry and well ventilated.  If there is mold in a relatively small area of your house, less than 10-square feet, you can clean that on your own with household detergents and a sponge.  However, professional intervention may be required if there has been flooding or longstanding water in the walls or flooring.

  1. If the mold is in an easy to reach space and not too prevalent – regular household detergents will clean up the spores.  A trip to your hardware store can be helpful as there are special mold-removal products for both in and outdoors, but be careful to not to bring harsh chemicals into your home or you will just be trading one problem for another.
  2. If you find the mold problem is large, you may want to think about hiring a professional trained in mold remediation.
  3. If mold has grown in the air conditioning ducts and pipes, you will probably have to ask a professional for help not just to clean the mold, but fix any water leakage issues.
  4. An indoor air purification system like Air Scrubber Plus reduces up to 99.9% of surface mold and air pollutants that can cause complications for people with respiratory sensitivities.

The EPA says that molds can produce “…allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).  Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.” Other responses to molds can be allergy related such as running nose, sneezing and red eyes.

Comment